4.11.2010

Perismina (3-24)

The main reason we were in Perismina was to see the Leatherback Turtles. These magnificent giants never leave the water except when the female lays her eggs on the beach. Thats what we wanted to see.

We left the station at 10pm and got to the beach around 11pm on the 23rd. We walked up and down the beach for hours. Scanning. Searching. Taking breaks here and there and even taking a short nap. We were unsuccessful. We left the beach at about 1am tired and very disappointed. We found out the next morning that they spotted two Leatherbacks later that night.

The following evening we went out again. This time we left at midnight. Instantly when we got to the beach, we saw one turtle leaving her nest and escaping out into the dark blue ocean. Again, I was disappointed. Missed her.

BUT, right after that we saw ANOTHER turtle after walking down the beach for a moment. It was amazing. She just made the nest and was starting to lay her eggs. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I couldn't believe how large she was (2m long, thats about as long as I am tall).

Sadly, I couldn't take any photos. But I have it forever in my mind. If you ever get a chance to see one, do it.

Obviously not my photo or anyone I know. But so you have an idea:

No comments: